Tuesday, October 9, 2012

High Frequency Words

Every morning at the beginning of class, I provide a short morning message for the students. I use this time to explain things like, starting sentences with capital letters, ending sentences with a period, and going over high frequency words (HFW). I always try to incorporate some HFW, especially the ones we are focusing on that week. We read the sentence a few times together and then I give a few students a chance to read the sentence aloud. Then I have students come up and circle any HFW they see in my sentence. Anyways, I tell you this background because a few days ago a student was using a white board during centers and he was using HFW in his sentence. He aked for my help to spell a word then says, "ok Ms. Boyd, so do you see any HFW in my sentence?" "Yes, I do." I answered. "ok, please circle all the HFW you see in my sentence," he proceeds to tell me. This is the type of moment that makes me smile and reminds me why I love students and being a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. That is adorable! I can't believe you didn't share this story with me in class...

    ReplyDelete